Saturday 18 January 2014

¿Cómo te llamas, chicos?

So what's your name?

I was surprised when I moved to Spain to discover how many Spanish names there were. I expected to find a few, like Miguel and Pedro, Carmen and Isabel. What I wasn't ready for was that pretty much every child in my class would have a 'Spanish' name. I just didn't realise there were so many. I thought a lot of them would have names like us, that we'd share more names. Just shows how much I had to learn.
This week I'm going to look at Spanish boys' names. Next week, we'll look at the girls.

Here are the top-20 English boys' names for 2013 (the first half of the year) with their Spanish 'translation' if I can find one. If I can't, and you can, let me know and I'll add it to the list. 
Note also that I've tried to give you a pronunciation guide. For example, Thomas and Tomás may look almost the same, but Spaniards stress the second syllable while we stress the first:

1. Oliver                   No translation found 
2. Jack/John           Juan (say H-won to rhyme with fun)
3. Charlie/Charles   Carlos/Carlito(s)
4. Harry                   Enrique (say En-ree-kay)
5. Oscar                   Óscar
6. Ethan                  NTF
7. Jacob                  Jacobo (say Jack-o-boh)
8. Thomas                Tomás (say Tom-as)
9. George                 Jorge (say Hor-hay)
10. James               Jaime (say high-may)
11. Alfie                  Alfredo
12. Daniel               Daniel (say Danielle)
13. William           Guillermo (say Gee yer moh using the 'Gee' sound from 'Geek' (not 'Jeep').
14. Henry                Enrique (again)
15. Joshua               Josué (say Ho-soo-eh)
16. Max                   Maximiliano (stress 'an')
17. Noah                 Noé (say No-eh)
18. Alexander          Alejandro (say Al eh han dro)
19. Benjamin         Benjamín (say Ben yah meen)
20. Dylan                NTF

Some of the other common Spanish name translations which you might need are:

Edward    Eduardo
Michael    Miguel (say Mee-gel with 'gel' to have a hard 'g' like in 'get' not hair 'gel')
Paul     Pablo
Peter   Pedro
Ralph    Raúl (say Rah-ool

Why don't you 'adopt' a Spanish name for your Spanish classes? Then you can get into the swing of pronouncing them, ready for your next visit to España where you'll no doubt need them!

Next week, las chicas!

No comments:

Post a Comment